Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Two months in, two to go....

I can't believe I'm halfway through the semester, where does the time go?! Since I'm at the halfway point I wanted to change up posts a bit and do a comparison post between Calgary/Canada and home.

First off, Americans have a lot of stereotypes and explaining that each state is different has been a lot of fun since I've been here. I've learned to give a disclaimer when talking about home, and explaining that I'm from the Midwest, so my experience is completely different from the Coasts and the South. The biggest stereotype is  that we're all gun crazy and that everyone walks around armed...can't say that's the case, but explaining gun laws is always an interesting conversation. The upside of being from the Midwest is that my accent blends in really well with the locals so I don't typically stick out when I go out with other International Students. 


American Stereotypes 
(stereotype summary from the discussions I've had)....

Some similarities between here and home is that people are generally really caring and helpful. When my friends and I traveled to Ft. Mcmurray, we got a bit turned around and we were able to flag down a snowmobile to ask for help. He was extremely helpful and even helped us find an amazing spot to catch the Northern Lights! Outside of that, the level politeness and general care people have for each other here is something I will definitely miss when I go home. Campus is overwhelmingly safe and it's common for people to leave electronics (like phones and computers) unattended for a bit and not have them stolen. Also, everyone holds doors for everyone else, a small act that can really make my day sometimes! People also are known for turning in misplaced phones and tablets, instead of just keeping them for themselves. 

Can honestly say I'm a bit homesick and really miss Marquette! I miss fresh cheese and milk (I know, very Wisconsin of me to say, but it's very true). Milk nor cheese taste the same here and are about double in price. Also miss fresh home-cooked meals (mom and dad aren't helping much in this department...making all my favorite dishes recently!). Also craving good old WI cheese curds....ugh


**Picture from Princeton, WI Flea Market.

I also miss smaller classes and professors that put students before research, and not feeling like just a number in a system (hence why I chose Marquette over a larger public school). My research adviser and anatomy professor are awesome and always make time to see students and they have questions, but some of the others are so wrapped up in their research they are rarely available outside of class. All well, classes in general are going well so I can't really complain.

Food here is about the same at home, just more expensive. Staple meals are a bit different as well. I can usually always find chicken tenders on menus back home, but that's not always the case here. Instead you can always find Poutine on the menu (and typically several options/types)! Poutine is fries, cheese curds (not deep fried) and gravy...and what ever else you could want, all in one dish (pictures below).
Image result for poutine vs.   Image result for poutine vs  Image result for poutine pizza (and yes, this is Poutine Pizza)

I haven't had any yet (not a huge gravy fan), but I plan on getting one when my parents visit in a month, so we can share one...no way I could finish one on my own!



Photo credits:
http://www.nationalstereotype.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/American-Stereotypes-1.png
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzuudgAKjRkkImS8MJm1ej2P1jpgiXN1Wo5t1hskjI2cUazCUO
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTypk_bs5KBlW_j59z6riM50ME0FdO2kpwLDpLm1lgFu5Jp_rIL2g
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8JTLILAJrP4I6EvH8HCPUOhU8xxSGWKr_-wtICjsS7zRaT8mahA


No comments:

Post a Comment