Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spring Time in Calgary

Well, midterms are finished and my research project report has been submitted for review. The research I have been working on during my time here has involved a literature review on properties of the tibia, femur and patella (knee joint) to aid in the development of a functioning model that accurately replicates real bone. This model would be used to aid in training surgeons so they can get more practice outside the OR. I have had the honor of working with Dr. Carolyn Anglin and her master's student Aubrey Blair-Pattison! I have learned so much about the vertebral model and can't wait to see where their models go in the future. They have taught me so much about research and literature reviews, along with general life lessons and several tips for living  Calgary. Especially when comparing the States to Canada as Aubrey is from New Mexico. Dr. Anglin also used to work for Zimmer in Switzerland. I couldn't have asked for a better team to join and work with this semester!

Now, with less than a month left until I finish finals, the question now is what to do with my remaining time and to reflect on my time spent here. Calgary has been an awesome host town with enough to keep busy, but not too overwhelming. I will miss the views of the mountains and the weather here. The phrase “if you don’t like the weather wait five minutes” has held true my entire time here. It has been shorts and t-shirt weather here for a little over a week now and just absolutely gorgeous. I can’t wait for the local bike rentals shops to start renting their street bikes and go for rides along the river and downtown. I've gone for walks along the river a few times and am always shocked at how shallow it is now. In 2013, from a storm and melting snow in the mountains, it caused major flooding in towns and areas along the river…now it’s only a few feet deep!

Peace Bridge over Bow River around time of 2013 Floods.


Peace Bridge now.

Calgary War Memorial along Bow River

Going for walks down to the Bow River will never get old, but I’m ready for a new adventure. After finals I’m traveling to Vancouver for about four days before flying back to Wisconsin and can’t wait. Several of my friends here have been to Vancouver and are giving me load of things I can do while there, including zip-lining and just chilling on the beaches along the Pacific Ocean. However, before I travel there and before finals starts, my parents are visiting this weekend. I’m super excited to show them around the city that has been my home for 3 months now and take them into the mountains…because the hills of the Midwest are nothing compared to the Rockies. Fingers crossed this great weather continues for their visit!

I've been busy with course work as everything starts winding down for the term and starting to prepare for finals. This past week I registered for courses back at Marquette for Fall 2015 and had to file a senior year course review…can’t believe I’ll be graduating in about 14 months (but who’s counting, haha)!


I’ll write again soon with even more amazing pictures of Calgary and the Mountains after my parent’s visit.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment