Monday, January 19, 2015

Arrival and First Few Days Here!

Arrival went semi-smooth. Flight was delayed out of Minneapolis/St. Paul so I arrived about 45 minutes late...not too bad. Customs was easy but immigration was stressful. However, once we cleared up that I'm a US student and will not be here longer than six months, they stamped my passport and I was well on my way. 
The rabbits that can be found all around campus.

Taxi ride from the airport went quick, but learned that Calgary doesn't plow the streets. Instead they wait for a Chinook to come and melt the snow. A Chinook is when hot air from the mountains comes down and the temperature warms up for a few days. My second day here I got to experience one, and then the next day how fast the temperature can drop when the Chinook passes. 
Home for the next four months!

Orientation went really well! Learned a lot and definitely had information overload, but it's all starting to make sense as I worked my way through my first week of classes. Loving all my classes so far and can't wait for my manufacturing class where we will be making yo-yo's, metal dice with a stand to hold them, a sort of name plate, and other cool things! I also have met with two different research teams and will have to decide soon which team I want to work with this term. Both teams have great opportunities, but I have decided to do a literature review on the bones of the knee joint (forces to impact them, etc.) to help build better training models for doctors. 

Old Petro-Canada Building that is now Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering!

I've been downtown a couple times now and love it more every time I go. The city is a decent size, but totally manageable and lots of fun to just walk around and explore the coffee shops and different stores. Pricing here is a bit more than back home, but not too bad for clothing and such. Some grocery items are almost double, such as milk and yogurt. I plan on going up on the Calgary Tower (seen below - slightly blurry picture....better one's will be posted later) at some point to get some awesome views of the city.


Everyone here is super friendly and helpful! I've joined the Ski Club and Outdoor Adventure Clubs on campus so I should be able to get out to the  mountains lots of times and go skiing (mainly cross country), snowshoeing, hiking, etc. Thursday night, after orientation, the International Student Services group took us to the Olympic Oval and we went skating. The oval here is known to have the "Fastest Ice on Earth" since so many world records have been set here. My friends and I went going again this past Saturday since getting in is free to students and rental is only about 5CAD.


Skating at the Olympic Oval! Going Skiing this Sunday (1/25) at the Canada Olympic Park!


@marquetteglobal



No comments:

Post a Comment